Thursday 7 April 2016

Friends.


"'You are my friends if you do what I command you.  I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing, but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father.'"  John 15: 14,15 (NRSV)

This is Jesus saying that he is equal with his disciples.

This  statement contradicts the notion that Jesus is God incarnate.

Jesus is saying he is a human being like his disciples who has been given the privilege of transmitting God's message to humanity.

And that message - as can be seen from the context* - is Love.


*John 15: 12-17.

[Scripture quotations (marked NRSV) are taken from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and are used by permission.  All rights reserved.]

Photo Credit: Waiting For The Word via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment