Wednesday 4 May 2016

The Eucharist.


Many have pondered the meaning of the Eucharist.

What could it mean?

This is my body (the bread).
This is my blood (the wine).

I believe that the key to this is the New Covenant.

Jesus was saying that he was giving his life as a ransom for many.

Not because God required it.
But because he was innocent.

"'This is my body, which is given for you.  Do this in remembrance of me.'"  Luke 22:19b (NRSV)

"'This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.'"  Luke 22:20b (NRSV)

Jesus' sacrifice of his life is the symbol of the New Covenant between God and humankind.

It is not a supernatural event however but a tragedy of massive proportions.

For God sent us a messenger with good news and we crucified him.


[Scripture quotations (marked NRSV) are taken from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and are used by permission.  All rights reserved.]

Photo Credit: FrogĂ© via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment